A Brief Summary:
- Symbolists yearn for the transcendence of the poetry of the Romantic Movement, but are generally more decadent and sensual in their hunt for it
- Smybolic poetry always includes deep ideas and connections
- A primary focus of symbolism was on dreams, dream-states, dusk, and dawn
- Symbolists are also heavy users of synesthesia which is using one sense for another such as "my eyes heard the colors in their vibrant hues"
- Poetry from this movement often had ties to music and would move in a rhythmic way when read.
- One of the more remarkable facts of the Symbolist movement was that they were making art for art's sake, not their own profit but to better the world of poetry and themselves.